Laura, like my previous guest, also works at Hennepin Health and had lots to share. Hearing another voice describing Hennepin as a great place to work, learn and teach was fun.
Laura previously practiced at North Memorial Medical Center; a high volume urban emergency department and Level 1 trauma center. Before that, she trained as a resident at Hennepin. This career arc from through community practice and back to academic medicine gives her a perspective few others can provide.
Laura shared so many tips and rules of thumb I feel like I could write a book on emergency medicine practice right now. We cruised right through a slew of professional practice tips and perspectives for use both on and off the floor. I’m really excited to get this one to you.
- Settling into your first job or any new job and figuring out your right pace
- Empowering those around you to make yourself more efficient
- Perspective of working in different environments through your career
- Aspects of prioritizing the work minute to minute like a restaurant server
- Talking and examining to a patient simultaneously
- End of shift push to get some patients dispositioned based on typical workup time
- Self improvement via reading follow up notes
- Balance between seeing patients and time spent documenting
- Managing shift energy and interruptions
- Wrap up
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Email | RSS | More